Subscribe Us

header ads

Shops And House Burnt In Ilorin Fire Outbreak

An early morning fire has razed a building of three-bedroom flats and three shops following a suspected power surge.

A statement from the Head Media, Kwara Fire Service, Mr Hakeem Hassan, said the incident took place at about 3.24 a.m in Oko-Erin, Ilorin West Local Government Area of Kwara State.

“On getting to the scene, we realised that the whole building had been engulfed by the blazing fire due to the late call by the sympathiser.

“Although the conflagration was huge, our firemen were able to demonstrate high level of professionalism and in no time the ravaging inferno was totally extinguished.

“They also damped the surrounding area in order to stop the fire from further escalation.

“The leading officer of the firemen crew, who attended to the incident, revealed that the fire was caused due to a power surge,” the statement read.

The Director of Kwara Fire Service, Mr Falade Olumuyiwa, urged citizens to always cultivate the habit of switching off their electrical appliances even before bedtime.

According to him, this would help to prevent the chances of fire incidents in homes, and also to drastically reduce them.

Meanwhile, the owner of the burnt shops, Mrs Bukola Benjamin, said the goods and property lost in the inferno would amount to about N5 million.

She called on the government and other well-meaning Nigerians to come to her aid as the shops were her only means of livelihood.


Post a Comment